Over Three Decades Of Resolving Family Law Issues In Montana

  1. Home
  2.  | 
  3. Child Support
  4.  | Back child support and travel plans

Back child support and travel plans

On Behalf of | Apr 7, 2018 | Child Support |

With respect to child support, there are many different challenges parents encounter. For example, a parent may worry about being arrested for failing to pay child support after losing their job or struggle with the costs associated with raising a child because they are not receiving what they are owed. It is very important for parents to resolve these situations, and those who are unable to pay child support should be aware of the repercussions associated with falling behind. Moreover, you may want to explore the modification of your child support order if you are going through this.

Many people realize that falling behind on child support can lead to arrest and a damaged reputation. However, some may not be aware that parents who owe a certain amount of back child support are not able to obtain a U.S. passport. If you have plans to travel and are currently behind on your child support, you should immediately look into the details surrounding your circumstances and determine whether or not you will be eligible to receive a passport. For parents who owe back child support, this can cause a variety of challenges, such as missing out on a business meeting in another country, missing a child’s wedding, and even canceling travel plans that have been in place for years.

Fortunately, some people are able to address their financial challenges by modifying their child support order, making payments that are more compatible with their income. Our child support section has more on child support modification.