Over Three Decades Of Resolving Family Law Issues In Montana

  1. Home
  2.  | 
  3. Child Support
  4.  | How can I file a complaint about the handling of my case?

How can I file a complaint about the handling of my case?

On Behalf of | Jan 7, 2019 | Child Support |

Dealing with child support issues in Montana usually means trying to get support set up and ensuring you receive or pay the right amount. However, problems may also arise with the child support office. Perhaps they have mischarged you or withheld money. They may have made a decision you do not like or mishandled your case, which led to problems for you. Whatever the case, The Montana Department of Public Health and Human Services explains you have the right to file a complaint if you feel wronged.

Before you take formal steps to file a complaint, there are a couple of things to do. You should always talk with the person you feel wronged you first. It may have been an honest mistake or an oversight. If nothing else, the person can explain why they made a decision or took a specific action. In many cases, this is all you need to clear things up.

If you still feel something is amiss, you should then make sure it is something the Child Support Enforcement Division can handle. It cannot do anything about decisions from the CSED legal staff or handle issues with the validity of a law. Also, the CSED cannot help with getting court dates sooner or with any complaints regarding court dates. Finally, it cannot help you with issues serving a notice or with anything regarding an out of state decision. If you have talked with the caseworker responsible and ensured your issue is something CSED can handle, then your next step is to write the supervisor of the person, explaining what the issue is.

If you have done this and received a reply that you still disagree with, you may appeal to the CSED administrator. The administrator has the final say. This information is for education and is not legal advice.