Over Three Decades Of Resolving Family Law Issues In Montana

  1. Home
  2.  | 
  3. Divorce
  4.  | What Montana parents should know about divorce

What Montana parents should know about divorce

On Behalf of | Mar 22, 2022 | Divorce |

A divorce may be just as difficult for your child as it is for you. However, your child has no say as to whether or not you stay with your spouse, and this lack of control may add a layer of anxiety or stress that you’ll need to account for. Fortunately, there are steps that may help your child adjust to his or her new reality in less time.

Stay as close to home as possible

Often, it’s easier for a child to adjust to your divorce when you remain in a familiar environment. Staying in the same town or city after your marriage ends may allow your child to remain in the same school district or close to extended family members. It may also allow your child to stay in touch with teachers, members of the church or others with who they have strong bonds.

Allow your child to express his or her feelings

Young people will often have questions about why their parents are no longer together. They may also have trouble expressing their emotions using words, so it’s possible that they will do so by crying, throwing tantrums or otherwise acting out. It’s important that you take time to answer those questions and remain calm during emotional outbursts.

Doing so will show your son or daughter that it’s alright to ask questions and to show emotion. However, it’s also critical that you set boundaries and help your child develop coping mechanisms that may limit the need for a tantrum at the grocery store, at school or anywhere else.

If you share a child with your spouse, it’s important to consider how a divorce may impact that person’s life. Generally speaking, both parents will receive custody or visitation rights to a minor. Ideally, you will allow the other parent to have a relationship with your child even if you obtain sole custody rights. In addition to custody rights, you may be entitled to child support payments if you are your son or daughter’s primary caregiver.